Greece - First impressions - Part 2

Athens & Costa Navarino 

Location stays the same, what I'll be talking about changes. And this week it's everyone's favourite - the food! More specifically, the Greek food. Food is always an important part of our trips as we like to eat, eat good and eat a lot ;) So, don't be shy, feel free to read on and find out what we ate and where. 

Again, ignorant to the Greek cuisine, I didn't know what to expect. Of course, I was aware of the Greek salad but as I basically don't eat raw tomatoes (I know I'm weird) that isn't what I wish to eat :D. Except for that, common sense hinted we could be expecting a lot of seafood. And, despite our expectations and ignorance, it turned out pretty well! 
The first meal we had was pulled chicken with baba ganoush and chicken skewers with hummus both with pita, of course, and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. These were our first and then also last meals there :) First because it was basically the first thing we saw and last because I absolutely loved it! 
What we ate in between? As we usually do, we ate everything plus champagne for breakfast - you just can't resist, when you see it, we're too weak for that. Moreover, food is a friend :D Our BFF I should say :D. Then some snack at the beach & some seafood for dinner. In between all of this we (Telchac as well, it looks like he's becoming coffee-drinker :D it's my fault but I'm proud of it :D - update from mid-October: he has definitely become a coffee drinker! now we can enjoy coffee together :)) had some typical Greek frappes. It's shit, you can't even call it coffee but it does the trick when you're at the beach and who am I to second-guess Greek traditions? ;)
What about our dinners? As I mentioned a few lines above, we ate seafood, tzatziki, olives and pita. At first - delicious, then I was thinking of pasta and pizza but as soon as we stepped in another restaurant I was asking for another fish...and shrimps...and lobster...and more shrimps :D. I don't know why - I just couldn't resist. Maybe the fact that it was as fresh as it could be, also it's healthy - at least healthier than pizza or pasta and last but not least it's typical and yummy! 



Btw check out the napkin-like tablecloth, it's genius, they use it in all the restaurants and I'm pretty excited about it (in the Stepford wives kind of way :D) because after you're done they only take this "tablecloth" and the real tablecloth stays perfectly clean (you can feel the excitement in these lines, can't you?). I'm not saying it's the high class of dining etiquette but it's pretty great. 


We have become big fans of Assyrtiko as well, don't even think of other wine when there. Moreover, even the house wines that they sold by glasses were surprisingly tasty. On the other hand, Ouzo was not my favourite but if you like herbal liquors then go ahead and try it!
Useful tip: Try Petros' restaurant Katerina's Tavern - family-run business with a great host and typical dishes! Eventually, if you're looking for something a little bit fancier, go for Poseidonia. Fresh fish, friendly and experienced maitre d', everything delicious, you won't know what to order first. 
We've been to Petros' twice (and once in the afternoon only to buy a bottle of Assyrtiko :D) and to Poseidonia once. Besides that, we also dined at Panorama Restaurant in Marathopoli which we chose (the same way as the other two) according to TA reviews. I'm not saying it was bad but IMHO this one doesn't play in the same league as the first two. Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't try it but if I was back there I would have chosen differently. Why? Mainly because the fava bean puree and the squid came almost cold and the service was average. 
I don't think there's anything else I could tell you about the food there. If you're interested in more details, let's say about our breakfast, just comment I'll leave no details out :D
And now, a little next week's sneak peek so you will have to come back ;):