Notes from Yucatan - Part 3

Merida & the trips 

Hi there, thanks for coming (or coming back). Today we'll continue our Yucatan adventure. If you haven't read Part 1 or Part 2, you will probably need (and want ;)) to do so. 



Our starting point for this post is our hotel in Merida. We came, left our luggage and hurried to the coast. I wanted to see Laguna Rosada - it was all over Pinterest when searching for ideas in this region - and we wanted to check out the beach there (never enough of it, right?). So Laguna Rosada - I do not know where the problem had been, possibly it was because I didn't google exact location or I googled the wrong one. Either way, we did not make it there. Instead, we found a place where we took our 'feet photo' with the so-called sponge ground. There Telchac dared me to try the water out and because the ground was really muddy and soft, the water did not look so good. But of course, I had to do it, once he asked :D. So shoes off and I was stepping into the unknown. It was not pretty, at first I wanted to take my foot out as quickly as possible :D I think I screamed too :D Not pretty, I am telling you. Then (when Telchac started laughing at me) I knew I needed to do it! So all princess-like screams put away, I went in. It was weird but you get used to it. 



After a while we went back - our towels were in the car which was parked on the road roughly 5 meters to the bushes, then through and there it was. Our water and towel in the car. Our foot muddy as hell. The possibility of putting our shoes back on ceased to exist at that moment. So barefoot, muddy-feeted but with big smiles on our faces we fought our way to the car and then we cleaned our feet - with the little water we had left - so no drinking on our way back. 
Btw we also found some pinkish salt lakes where we watched the sunset. When I got back to the car I could only think of what a perfect day it had been. 



Rise and shine, sweethearts, in our case at 4am - courtesy of a jet lag again. We lied in bed, took a shower and then we started to be hungry a little. So Telchac, very bravely, decided to call the front office and ask when the breakfast started. Very bravely because he wanted to speak Spanish. I very carefully expressed my doubts about our Spanish skills but he said he was fine because we understand numbers and what else could the guy say. First of all, we woke the poor guy up. Secondly, after he finished the call and I asked him what the guy said, he just looked at me, with his best puppy eyes, and said he did not understand. I burst out laughing and then he joined me and we laughed for 10 minutes straight. 
What to do now? Explore the hotel when there is nobody? Why not! It was around 6ish when we set off on our mission. There were no people - dah! - and we ended up at the terrace where we watched the skies (not the sunrise, too many buildings) change from night mode to day mode. We took some pictures, it was the perfect opportunity, no people around means zero shyness and embarrassment level. 



At 7am we figured they must have had something for us to eat or we ate them. After ordering some "safe" French toast and everything "sin hielo" we noticed a Mexican couple next to us. This was when we first saw a typical Mexican breakfast. Eggs. In a soup plate. With tomato sauce. Cream. Some weird paste. Looking like a soup that did not want to be soup. We both agreed this did neither look good nor did it look like breakfast. So we had rather finished our French toasts and went back to our room - to remind you, it was still just around 8am :D. 
We spent the day exploring the Chichén Itzá archaeological site (more about it in our next post) and strolling hand in hand around Merida, discovering its charm, local markets and colonial buildings. 





Back at the hotel, we were greeted with a suggestion that they were having live music at their rooftop bar at 10pm that night. Well, the start of our Mexican adventure could not be better. I dressed up, put my make up on and at 7pm we went there for a few drinks before the show started. At approximately 8pm, after drinking two beers, I passed out at our table. No, the Mexican beer is not that strong but the jet lag got the best of me. When Telchac "woke me" so we could go to our room (bye-bye live music at the rooftop terrace :D) I managed to say (and Telchac still laughs about it) "what a 'holiday' this is when I'm passed out at 8pm". 



Our plans for our last day were to go to Celestun to check out the flamingos. We did not book anything in advance (as advised by TA), we just came, paid and got in a small boat. Our guide spoke little English and as we spoke some Spanish we could somehow understand each other. The boat ride was great, there were hundreds if not thousands of flamingos. They were really loud and really pink :D. 





After the flamingos, we continued our journey more south. Where, why and what we saw there will all be in our next post. Thanks for reading and C U in Temozon!